Tuesday 6 December 2011

Cactus Garden


I was just looking through photos of our holiday in Lanzarote and found some from a Cactus Garden we visited there. I’d never heard of cacti before but I discovered that they’re funny spiky plants that are good at surviving in very hot places.

The first one we saw was all wiggly. It had the most enormous prickles so I had to be very careful, though I still got spiked when I went too close – ouch!


I loved the big round cactus, it looked like an enormous spiky beach ball with a funny hairdo on top!


Another cactus had lots of long leaves, and when I got too close I fell in! Help! I wriggled around trying to get free but the leaves just seemed to hold me even more tightly and I thought it was out to get me! Thankfully Sarah pulled me out and said plants don’t try and get puppies, but I wasn’t so sure.


We found a really big one after that. It had so many different parts it was like a whole town of cacti. If it keeps growing like that it might end up taking over the whole garden. Apparently they grow very slowly though so perhaps the other plants don’t need to worry just yet.


Then we found a plant without any spikes at all! I jumped into the middle of it and felt like a flower fairy with all the big leaves spreading out around me.
Sarah said it wasn’t really a cactus and was called Aloe Vera, but I’m not sure that’s true as I said “Allo, Vera” to it several times and it didn’t answer.


The last cactus we saw had much tinier spikes so I think I liked that one the best. It still wasn’t a good idea to stroke it though as it was pricklier than it looked!


It’s made me feel all hot and sunny again looking through these photos – which is nice as it’s pouring with rain outside!


With spikes and spots

Dottie

No comments:

Post a Comment